Friday, May 25, 2012

St. Augustine

Hello again! Back with another update...

We've spent the last few days wandering the oldest continuously inhabited city in the U.S., St Augustine, Florida, founded in 1565. Skipping the overly contrived and touristy "Fountain of Youth", we opted today for a leisurely walk down St George Street - which turned out to be quite touristy in it's own way, but still charming. The walk began with a visit to the old City Gates...


Although the city was founded in the mid sixteenth century, the gates were completed in 1808.

Further on down St. George Street is shopping galore, where Ann picked up a unique sculpture, and I picked up a bottle of tangerine wine. :)


Earlier in the week, we crossed the Bridge of Lions (so named for the two fellows standing guard at the entrance)...


...and made our way to the Alligator farm, a zoological park. What amazing animals. Don't these two crocs look like they're in love?


And check out this albino alligator...


How cool is he?

But the highlight was the Rookery, which was filled with fledgelings like these storks...


And these fellows. I forget which bird they are, and if anyone knows, please do comment. :)


This spoonbill was sitting on her nest...


And how about this guy's wingspan?!


Such a wonderful experience to see these species up close!

Last but by no means least, was a visit with the talented Iva Wilcox, who graciously invited us to tour her home and studio. Iva's work is just amazing, and we so enjoyed seeing it in person, and spending some time with her. :)

Tomorrow we head north again (Charleston bound) , where I'll rent a car for the drive home stopping in Asheville to see family along the way.

Until the next update, thanks as always for following our adventures!

~ Carolee






5 comments:

Corinne Stubson said...

oops- I posted on the wrong pist! lol- those are green-backed herons, I believe. love your pics!

GOTHAM239 said...

Beautiful Carolee!

Iva Wilcox said...

It was wonderful finally meeting in person after so many years of online chat and phone calls!! Ann is a sweetheart and I'm so happy you enjoyed your stay here in St.. Augustine! Now, I'm gonna get on over to the Alligator Farm to see those babies!! Thanks again to Ann for the delicious meals!! Safe travels my friends!!

Hugs again....Iva

Unknown said...

St. Augustine Florida is THE best vacation I ever took. I have a friend who lives on the ocean off of old A1A and we stayed with her. We went to Potters Wax Museum, Ripley's, The Lightner Museum ( to die for) and I bought my beloved cuckoo clock on George St. The draw bridge, horse drawn carriages....BEAUTIFUL place to vacation. I would love to go back!

Introverted Art said...

I have always wanted to visit St. Augustine. This one will be on my list for sure. The photos are amazing.